What you need to know about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The health of you and your family is invaluable. To reduce your risk of infection, stay one step ahead with these tips and Lifebuoy.
What is the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
The Coronavirus is a respiratory illness caused by a new strain of the coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. There have been thousands of reported infections both in China and elsewhere in the world, and some of the infections have resulted in death. Whilst we know that there is a single reported case of the Coronavirus in South Africa, it is important that we all stay one step ahead of infections.
So it’s time to give you and your family the necessary tools to prevent this and other infections that can make you ill.
What should you know?
Coronaviruses are from a family of viruses that cause illness that ranges from the common cold to pneumonia and other more severe and often deadly diseases. This strain of the Coronavirus is new and has not been seen in humans before.
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, which means they are transmitted between animals and people.
Human to human transmission has also been confirmed.
Common symptoms include:
A runny nose, fever, cough, sore throat, and breathing difficulties
More serious cases can result in:
• organ failure
To protect yourself against the spread of infection, here are some tips:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not accessible, use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Avoid close contact with wild or live farm animals.
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs.
- Follow any additional precautions recommended by health authorities.
Don’t worry, stay one step ahead of infections. These germ protection tips , along with awareness, can reduce your risk of infection.
Do You Know How to Wash Your Hands Correctly? Click Here To Help Prevent The Spread (PDF 1.4MB)