Lifebuoy: 8 Simple Steps to ensure Healthy Hand Hygiene Habits
1. For Hand Hygiene: Wash your hands thoroughly with disinfectant hygiene soap and running water - a simple splash under water is not effective in destroying germs.
2. Really lather the soap to make sure that you are getting all of the necessary germ protection that is required for optimal health.
3. Wash your hands for approximately 30 seconds to really get rid of the harmful germs that cause infection – think up a song to pass the time, the 'happy birthday' song is a great example.
4. Remember to wash your hands properly whenever they are dirty and especially before handling food, after using the bathroom/changing nappies and in the shower/bath for healthy hygiene habits.
5. Hand washing with soap is one of the most effective ways of preventing diarrhoeal disease. It can reduce the incidence of diarrhoea by up to 47%. (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine – 2012 systemic review (Curtis & Cairncross)) 6. Hands are the most common way of spreading germs – in ancient times people would bow to each other (rather than shaking hands as we do in the Western world today) not realising that they were actually helping to reduce the spread of germs as a result.
6. Hands are the most common way of spreading germs – in ancient times, people would bow to each other (rather than shaking hands as we do in the Western world today) not realising that they were helping to reduce the spread of germs as a result.
7. Periods when we are most susceptible to the spread and to the effects of germs include during seasonal changes, back-to-school and festivals/occasions when groups of people gather. With this in mind, be sure to make healthy hand hygiene a habits to keep you protected throughout the year.
8. Lifebuoy disinfectant soap is effective in destroying the germs that cause: dysentery, flu, sore throats, enteric fever, ear infection, ARI (acute respiratory infections), heat rash, spots and acne, body odour and diarrhea.